Sunday, October 4, 2015

Fashion Then and Now

Hello!

I noticed that the content of my last few posts has been rather dark, so I am going to make this post more on the light side. For this post, I am going to post a few fashion comparisons of vintage style vs. modern style and explain what I like and don't like about them. Remember, this is just my opinion; feel free to comment and let me know what you think as well!

T-Shirt Dresses


What I like: They are super comfortable and easy to just thrown on and go.

What I don't like: They are completely shapeless and can actually manage to make you look like a marshmallow. In my opinion, this looks something I would thrown on to go to bed (although these days I have graduated to nightgowns). 

Try this instead:


This dress still looks extremely comfortable, but the cinched waist allows it to look a lot more feminine. If you're looking for something more modern, try just adding a belt to the white t-shirt dress for the same cinched effect.

The Snapback


What I like: It's definitely a different fashion trend. The snapback makes his outfit look more casual, and he looks like he is trying to go for more of a "street style" look.

What I don't like: His outfit now looks too casual. He might as well be wearing a t-shirt and jeans.

What I'd do instead:

In this particular case, I would just get rid of the snapback entirely. I think that it takes away a lot of class from the rest of the young gentleman's outfit. If he wanted to opt for a hat to match the suit, I would go for something like the one in this picture. I am a firm believer that accessories should help enhance the outfit and not take away from it. 

The Modern Crop Top


What I like: They can be comfortable in the summer when it is very hot outside.

What I don't like: There is very little left to the imagination with these.

How I would wear this: 

I think that to make the crop top more modest (like its origins), you have to wear a skirt, shorts, or pants that have a high-waist. In addition, the top has to be long enough that there is only a strip of skin showing. That way, you are only showing a little bit instead of almost your whole torso. The looks if far more elegant and even glamorous when presented this way.

Boat Shoes


What I like: Boat shoes are very comfortable, and they look nice when you are on a boat.

What I don't like: If you are not on a boat, please try to refrain from wearing boat shoes. This might be my least favorite fashion trend to ever emerge, and my generation does it all the time. For example, in the picture above, why is he wearing boat shoes? He is clearly at a formal event; I just don't understand.

Please try this instead:

Or you could wear any formal shoes, for that matter. This trend also applies to women. Ladies, please try to avoid wearing Sperry shoes with your lovely dresses. It instantly takes away so much class from your ensemble.

Super Revealing Dresses


What I like: I have to admit, I'm really pulling for strings here. I suppose I like that it's creative, and I like how she's not afraid to flaunt her curves.

What I don't like: Almost everything. I don't like how I'm worried for her that she's going to have a mishap and reveal everything to the general public. The colors are not very tasteful either. I just feel that this dress is not classy enough to be walking the Red Carpet in.

I would opt for something more like this:


This dress has beading and figure to it, but without the extra uncomfortable flesh showing.

And finally,

Clown Contouring


What I like: Nothing.

What I don't like: She is wearing so much extra colored make-up which ends up making her face look completely unnatural. I've never been much of a fan of wearing that much make-up anyway unless I'm going out somewhere. In which case I would opt for something more like this:


I think Marilyn's look is far more sultry and sophisticated than the look above. 

I hope you all enjoyed this post! Feel free to let me know in the comments what some of your least favorite fashion trends are.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment