Thursday, August 30, 2018

Hampton National Historic Site Photoshoot

Hello, everyone!

As the sweltering August heat continues here in Maryland, I recently had the pleasure of visiting Hampton National Historic Site for a photo shoot with my sister and some friends. 

The Hampton House dates back to 1790 and was in the Ridgely family until 1948. In 1948, the estate was designated a National Historic Site, and it has since been managed by the National Park Service.

Though the grounds and house are beautiful, it would be wrong of me not to note that the Ridgely family owned over 300 slaves before slavery was eliminated in Maryland in 1864. The slaves and servants were the ones who kept the household operational, and I think that it is important to acknowledge this fact. I like to take quiet moments to reflect on matters such as these, and I am very glad that on the tour of the grounds, one can tour the slave quarters and learn more about their contributions to the estate. 

On a lighter note, here are some of the shots that my sister captured of me:










If you're ever in the Towson area of Maryland, I definitely recommend visiting this place! I will most definitely go back in the fall to explore when it is not so terribly hot outside. 

Cheers xx

No comments:

Post a Comment