Monday, January 4, 2016

Inspiration: Vera Lynn

Good Morning!

I have really been inspired by Dame Vera Lynn these days. She did so much for the war effort in terms of morale, and I love that she is still going strong at age 98.


I find that I draw a lot of inspiration from women of the past who I feel that I can relate to. Ms. Lynn seems like such a likeable person; I would definitely have gone up to talk to her 70 years ago. No wonder she gained the title of "The Forces Sweetheart."

My favorite part about Ms. Lynn is that she isn't hyper-glamourized or showy. She is just Dame Vera Lynn. And her singing and personality were enough boost morale for the Allies during the War.


My favorite songs that she sang in the 40's are definitely "I'll Be Seeing You", "We'll Meet Again" and "The White Cliffs of Dover." In 1952, "Auf Wiederseh'n Sweetheart" was released. That is another one of my favorite songs sung by her.

"I'll Be Seeing You"

"We'll Meet Again"


"The White Cliffs of Dover"


"Auf Wiederseh'n Sweetheart"


Sometimes I think about what I would have done had I been alive during the War. Would I have worked for one of the branches of the military in some form? Would I have driven ambulances? What about the Women's Land Army? 

I certainly don't have a voice like Dame Vera Lynn, but I even like to imagine that I would have been a singer like her. I definitely find her inspiring; she is a good reminder that everyone has to do his/her part. As they say, we are all cogs in this giant machine.

Have you been inspired by anyone lately? I hope everyone is having a lovely Monday! Cheers.

5 comments:

  1. Ive never heard of her before thank you so much for sharing

    retro rover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! Hope you are having a great start to 2016!

      Delete
  2. What a sweet, beautiful post. I adore Vera Lynn's voice and really admire what she did for the war effort, too. Thank you for shining the immensely well deserved spotlight on this talented lady.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find stories about the war effort to be quite interesting, especially when they concern women in different roles! Hope you are doing well!

      Delete
  3. Very cool blog! I like it a lot.


    here are my links and if you like to follow just follow and leave me your links aswell and I'll
    follow back!



    New Freebies for your blog

    Bloglovin | Instagram @suvarna_gold | LookBook | Facebook |


    Style up your Blog |
    Advertise your Blog |
    Stay Gold

    ReplyDelete