Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Movie Review: Inglourious Basterds

Hello, all. 

Today I'm going to pen a quick review of the movie Inglourious Basterds. I watched it for the second time the other day, so with a fresh memory I'm going to explain what I thought about the movie.


Some things to note right off of the bat:
  • The movie stars big names such as Brad Pitt. Melanie Laurent, Christoph Waltz, and Diane Kruger, to name a few. 
  • The film is directed by Quentin Tarantino, whose films are usually known for their bold and often violent natures. 
  • The movie is completely fictitious. 
  • The film was pretty well-received by critics and audiences alike.
Here are some pictures so that you get a feel of what the movie is like aesthetically:


Now, let's talk about my opinion of the movie. I have watched a lot of films based on WW2, but this particular picture is unlike any other film based on/during WW2. I'm going to break down the movie by what I like and what I didn't really enjoy as much. 

What I like: The movie is funny, frightening, suspenseful, and downright appalling at times, all characteristics of Tarantino's work. Christoph Waltz is brilliant, and for his performance he actually won an Academy Award. The movie features two incredibly strong female characters which is always nice to see. I also enjoyed the use of German, English, and Italian in the film to make it more realistic. Some of the nuances were brilliant too, such as the three-finger giveaway (I don't want to spoil this if you haven't seen the movie yet). And finally, Brad Pitt's character was just hilarious.

What I didn't like: Tarantino's blatant use of violence was actually difficult to watch sometimes; it might have been a tad insensitive. In a way, the fictitious nature of the movie also kind of bothered me. Of course I don't mind watching fiction, but the movie theatre scene teetered towards being a bit outrageous. 

In general, I would probably give this movie around a 7/10. It was extremely original, and the characters were developed well. The plot was dynamic, and I was able to stay interested throughout the whole movie. My only real issues were with the brutality of some scenes as well as the strongly fictitious nature of the  move. Well done, Mr. Tarantino.

As a side note, I am actually being Shosanna for Halloween. I am wearing the outfit in the picture above with her on the balcony. I love strong female characters, so she was the perfect match for my Halloween costume this year.

I hope you all enjoyed my review! Let me know what you think of the movie when you watch it! Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment