Friday, October 16, 2015

Quick D.C. Trip

Hi, everyone!

I have had four exams and one paper to write this week! Can you believe that? It's hard to believe that the semester is already half way over. Having said that, I don't have a lot of time to write this post, but I'll quickly write it so you guys can see what I've been up to lately outside of exams.

This past Sunday I took a quick trip to the Smithsonian in Washington D.C. to visit an exhibit for school. The exhibit was on human evolution and is called "Human Origins". Despite what your views might be about evolution, this exhibit was incredibly well done! I highly recommend checking it out if you're ever in the Museum of Natural History. Here are some pictures:


Neanderthal child replication


After going to the Museum of Natural History, we went to the American History Museum. Now believe me when I say this, American history to me is quite embarrassing at some points. There have definitely been some times when I am not so proud to be American. However, there are also times when I am extremely happy to be where I am from and wouldn't change it for the world. Having said that, the museum itself was pretty cool. There was a lot of work being done, but I found a cool exhibit on World War 2 (which is one of the times when I am proud to be an American). Here are some pictures; please excuse my phone camera quality.


 There was a really cool section on women's involvement in the War. I love how they covered what women did in the war as well as fashion and home life too!


Liquid stockings and a bullet-shaped lipstick case! How cool is that?

Women's lingerie, war time color palette, stockings, make-up
I love how stylish the women still were despite working in factories and doing a lot of manual labor.

Here are a couple of other cool exhibits I saw at the museum:

Schwinn Bicycle circa the 60's
These TV's were all playing old television broadcasting during the Vietnam War. It felt like you were actually watching the news while the action was going on overseas!
This was found inside the restaurant, which was jazz themed. I love everyone in this painting, and I think that it is the perfect pop of color for a restaurant! 
And finally, what stop to D.C. would be complete without a picture of the Washington Monument?


I hope that everyone is having a lovely week! Cheers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment